Serves: Makes 12 - Time:
I’ve been staring at a block of marzipan in the cupboard since Christmas so it was high time I found something to do with it. These light, fluffy and incredibly moreish muffins have little cubes of marzipan running through the batter which turn deliciously fudgy when baked. Usually I can take or leave a muffin but found I took rather a lot of these…
- 260g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 115g caster sugar
- 140g buttermilk
- 55g milk
- 100g melted butter, cooled to room temperature
- 2 medium eggs
- 140g blueberries
- 110g block marzipan, cut into 5mm cubes
- Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases. Heat the oven to fan 180°c, mark 6. Mix the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, sugar and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl mix together the buttermilk, milk, cooled melted butter and eggs. Pour into the dry ingredients and lightly mix in, four or five stirs-no more. Add the blueberries and cubed marzipan and fold in until just combined.
- With an ice cream scoop, fill the muffin cases a third full with the batter-no need to level off the top and don’t worry if there are bits of flour showing. Bake in the oven for about 18-20 minutes until risen and light golden. Cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.