Serves: 2 - Time:
If you don’t want to go to a massive effort but feel that you deserve a pudding look no further than this microwave sticky toffee pudding. You will need a jug, a couple of mugs and, um, a microwave. The best thing is you can actually knock this up on the spur of the moment. I think a bit of custard or vanilla ice cream is the perfect accompaniment.
- For the sauce
- 50ml double cream
- 15g unsalted butter
- 30g soft light brown sugar
- 50g golden syrup
- For the puddings
- 110g chopped dates
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 30g unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons (packed tightly) soft light brown sugar
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 2 ½ tablespoons self-raising flour
- For the sauce, place the ingredients in a jug and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir well and microwave for a further 30 seconds. Set aside while you make the puddings.
- Put the dates in a jug with the vanilla extract and 4 tablespoons boiling water. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir in the bicarbonate of soda and butter. Microwave on high for about 30 seconds and stir until the butter has melted. Stir in the sugar and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the beaten egg and self-raising flour and divide the mixture between 2 bowls or mugs. Microwave on high for 2 ½ minutes. Leave to rest for 1 minute then pour over the sauce and serve with custard or ice cream.