If you are short of time or haven’t planned ahead and soaked the beans you can throw in a couple of tins instead. For some reason the local supermarkets don’t stock tins of black beans which is why I always have the dried ones to hand. Black garlic is available in the bigger supermarkets. It has really mild, caramelised garlic flavour –perfect if you don’t like the pungency of fresh garlic.
- 250g dried black beans soaked in plenty of cold water overnight
- 1 bulb black garlic
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, stoned, peeled and diced
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 110g baby plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped coriander
- To serve Sour cream
- Drain the black beans from their soaking liquor and place in a saucepan. Cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the beans are cooked through but not mushy. Drain well and place in a mixing bowl. Leave to cool.
- Pick out all the soft, black garlic cloves from their skins and chop into small pieces. Stir into the black beans along with the remaining ingredients. Season really well with salt and ground black pepper. Serve with a dollop of sour cream. The beans make a great accompaniment to grilled salmon or the sticky chicken.