I usually make a cauliflower salad with a spiced tahini dressing but as we are still in the depths of winter I wanted something more comforting and warming for lunch and soup always fits the bill.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 sticks celery, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large cauliflower, (outer leaves discarded) roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons ras el hanout
- 1.2 litres vegetable stock or water
- 3 tablespoons tahini paste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley or coriander
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onion, celery, garlic and cauliflower for 10 minutes. Add the ras el hanout spice and cook for a further minute. Pour in the stock or water and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 15-20 minutes by which time the cauliflower should be soft. Take off the heat and stir in the tahini paste.
- Cool slightly before liquidizing either in a blender or with a hand -held mixer. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the parsley or coriander just before serving.