This is a brilliant and easy salad and perfect for serving with cold ham and turkey after Christmas. I suppose this is the French equivalent of coleslaw but infinitely nicer. I add a few radishes for heat although I find they are not very fiery at this time of year. A mandolin is the easiest and quickest way to chop the celeriac but you could grate it or use a julienne peeler-Oxo Good Grips make a good one.
- 1 celeriac, about 900g
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 10 radishes, washed
- 225g good quality shop-bought or homemade mayonnaise
- 90g plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons capers in vinegar, drained and roughly chopped
- With a sharp knife cut around the celeriac to remove the skin. Cut into about 4 pieces and grate or julienne the celeriac. Place in a bowl and toss with the lemon juice. Finely slice the radishes and add to the celeriac. In a separate bowl mix together the mayonnaise, yogurt or sour cream, mustard and capers. Stir into the celeriac and taste and season with salt and ground black pepper. Cover and chill until ready to serve.