This salad is filling enough on its own but if you wanted, you could serve it with some sticky chicken or as part of a Tex Mex meal with a side order of nachos or quesadillas.
- 4 corn on the cobs
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 x400g tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- Juice of 2 limes
- 140g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped basil
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add the corn on the cobs and bring back to the boil. Simmer for 6-8 minutes until just tender. Drain well. Brush the cobs with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Heat a griddle until smoking hot. Place the corn on the griddle and cook for 10-12 minutes, turning the cobs each minute or two to ensure they colour evenly. Turn off the heat then lift out the cobs on to a board. Sprinkle the cumin seeds into the hot griddle pan and leave them for a minute-the residual heat should toast the seeds sufficiently. Tip the seeds into a mixing bowl.
- When cool enough to handle stand a cob on its end and cut down the sides to remove the kernels. Repeat with the remaining cobs and add the kernels to the cumin seeds.
- Stir in the remaining salad ingredients (including the 2 tablespoons of olive oil) and taste and season with salt and ground black pepper.