Serves: 2 - Time:
There is usually a head of celery in my fridge, more often than not used to make stocks or tomato/ragu-style sauces. But lately it has found its way into so many of my salads, adding a welcome freshness and crunchiness to a dish. This is a highly adaptable salad- I toyed with adding some cooked cannellini beans, and even some artichoke hearts but here, I wanted to keep it simple. That is not to say you couldn’t add extras; as I type, it is Jersey Royal season and the addition of the delicious cooked potatoes would make this a substantial salad. A note about the olives-I cannot recommend highly enough these Perello Gordal olives-they are the best and highly addictive.
- For the dressing
- 100g buttermilk
- 60g mayonnaise
- 1 preserved lemon, pips removed and flesh finely chopped
- Grated zest of ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- Salt and ground black pepper
- For the salad
- 2 sticks celery, trimmed and finely chopped
- 60g pitted green olives, quartered (see intro)
- 225g cooked chicken, roughly chopped
- Rocket or salad leaves to serve
- For the dressing, whisk all the ingredients together and season with salt and ground black pepper.
- For the salad, mix the celery, olives and chicken together, season with salt and ground black pepper and stir. Throw in some salad leaves and drizzle over the dressing just before serving.