The following recipe is for the lactose-intolerant but if you haven’t any dietary problems you can make it with full fat cream cheese.
- Oil for greasing
- ½ cucumber, peeled
- 200g pack Lacto-Free soft white cheese
- 50g good quality shop-bought mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped dill
- Grated zest of ½ lemon
- 2 sheets leaf gelatine (about 5g)
- Grease 2 x 175ml dariole moulds and base-line with a disc of non-stick baking parchment. Grate the cucumber into a sieve and sprinkle over ½ teaspoon Maldon salt. Leave to drain for about 1 hour then squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the cucumber. Place in a bowl.
- Stir in the soft white cheese, mayonnaise, dill and lemon zest. Season with a little black pepper. Soak the gelatine leaves in cold water for 5 minutes until soft then lift out and place in a small saucepan with 2 tablespoons water. Stir over a very low heat until the gelatine has dissolved. Leave for a minute to cool then stir into the cucumber mixture. Carefully spoon into the prepared moulds, cover and chill until set- about 4-5 hours.
- Just before you are ready to eat run a knife around the edges of the moulds and invert on to a serving plate. Decorate with dill and a few mini cornichons and serve with crusty fresh bread.