Serves: Makes about 400g
These pickles need about 2 weeks in the fridge before they are ready and should ideally be eaten within six weeks of making them. They are delicious in a burger, with cold smoked meats or any oily fish.
- 400g baby cucumbers, sliced into 3mm thick rounds
- Scant 10g Maldon salt
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- ½ tablespoon coriander seeds
- ½ tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 200ml white wine vinegar
- 100g caster sugar
- 10g fresh dill fronds
- Put the cucumber in a bowl and sprinkle over the salt. Leave in the fridge for 24 hours. Drain the cucumber from their brine and wash under cold water. Pat dry with kitchen paper and set aside.
- Put the mustard and coriander seeds, peppercorns and fennel seeds in a saucepan and toast for 1-2 minutes over a moderate heat. Pour in the vinegar and stir in the caster sugar. When the sugar has dissolved take off the heat.
- Pack half the cucumber in a sterilised kilner jar or similar and top with half the dill. Pack in the remaining cucumber and top with the last of the dill. Pour over the pickling liquid. Seal and leave in the fridge for 2 weeks before eating.