Another recipe inspired by my aunt’s notebooks. I wondered whether this was too Abigail’s Party-stuffed eggs are up there with the cheese and pineapple hedgehog- but it is so delicious I couldn’t not include this one on my website. The recipe looks a bit wordy but broken down into three component parts, you can prepare the dressing, eggs and cucumber in advance and simply assemble everything else last minute.
- For the curried tomato dressing
- I tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 banana shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoons medium curry powder
- 150ml tomato juice
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 100ml mayonnaise
- For the eggs
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon sweet paprika
- 5 pinches cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- For the cucumber
- ½ large cucumber, peeled
- 1 teaspoon Maldon salt
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped dill
- 400g cooked and peeled prawns
- Salad leaves
- For the dressing, heat the oil in a saucepan and add the chopped shallot and a pinch of salt. Cook over a low heat for 10 minutes until soft but not coloured. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes. Stir in the curry powder and cook for a minute then pour in the tomato juice and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the lemon juice and caster sugar and take off the heat. Leave to cool completely then whisk in the mayonnaise. Set aside. If you are making this well in advance, cover and chill.
- For the eggs, lower the eggs into boiling water and cook for 8 ½ minutes. Drain and run under cold water for 2-3 minutes. Peel off the egg shells and cut the eggs into halves. Scoop the yolks into a bowl and mash with the paprika, cayenne pepper, mayonnaise and some salt and ground black pepper. spoon the mix back into the egg white halves and cover and chill if you are making ahead of time.
- For the cucumber, thinly slice the cucumber on a mandoline and place in a colander. Sprinkle over the salt and leave to drain for 30 minutes. Run under cold water and pat dry with kitchen paper. In a mixing bowl, whisk the vinegar with the caster sugar until the sugar has dissolved then stir in the olive oil and dill. Add the cucumber and mix to coat the slices. Set aside.
- To assemble the salad, arrange some salad leaves, (of your choice) on a platter and spoon over the cucumber with the dressing. Place the eggs on top and scatter over the prawns. Drizzle over the curried tomato dressing and serve immediately.