I don’t like shop-bought trifle at all- among other things jelly in my book is a no-no- yet I am very happy to buy the component parts and assemble them for a stress-free yet impressive pudding. You could play around with the type of fruit compote –even add a few fresh berries and buy sponge fingers in place of the madeira cake. Marks and Spencer make a delicious summer fruit compote and thick vanilla custard.
- 125ml amaretto liqueur
- 230g madeira cake, crust removed and cut into fish finger-sized pieces
- 500g pot fruit compote
- 500g pot good quality custard
- 400ml double cream
- 6 amaretti biscuits, crumbled
- Pour the amaretto into a shallow dish. Dip the fingers of madeira cake into the liqueur and arrange in the bottom of a trifle dish or similar wide bowl.
- Pour over the fruit compote and spread out to cover the sponge. Top with the custard making sure to cover the fruit.
- Whip the cream to very soft peaks-don’t over-whip or it will be difficult to spread. Spoon the whipped cream over the custard and then scatter over the crumbled amaretti biscuits. Chill until ready to serve.