Serves: Makes about 20 - Time:
As Easter is fast approaching crushed mini eggs seemed to be the perfect decoration for these crispy squares. You can find malt extract in Waitrose and most health food shops. It’s not obligatory but gives the squares a rich, malty undertone.
- 300g milk chocolate, broken up into pieces
- 200g plain chocolate, broken up into pieces
- 50g unsalted butter
- 100g malt extract
- 50g golden syrup
- 120g Rice Krispies
- 1 small packet Cadbury Mini Eggs, roughly crushed
- 1 small packet Smartie eggs, roughtly crushed
- Line a 24 x 20cm baking tin with non-stick parchment. Put 200g milk chocolate in a bowl and place over a saucepan of barely simmering water. The base of the bowl shouldn’t touch the water. Stir until the chocolate has dissolved. Lift the bowl off the saucepan and stir in the remaining milk chocolate until it has melted. Set aside.
- Put the plain chocolate, butter, malt extract and syrup in a saucepan and stir over a low heat until the chocolate has melted. Stir in half the melted milk chocolate. Put the Rice Krispies in a mixing bowl and pour over the plain chocolate mixture. Stir well to coat the Krispies. Spoon into the prepared tin and level the surface.
- Pour over the remaining melted milk chocolate and smooth to the edges. Sprinkle over the crushed eggs and chill until hard. Cut into squares and serve.