Serves: 2 as veggie main or 4 as an accompaniment
I adore aubergines in any guise and this is one of my favourite ways of eating them. They can be an accompaniment to a meaty main course (stick with oriental flavours to avoid taste bud confusion) or serve with a stir-fry for a vegetarian meal.
- 2 aubergines, halved lengthways
- 4 tablespoons light olive oil
- 4 tablespoons sweet white miso paste
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- Fresh coriander for garnish
- Heat the oven to 200˚c, fan oven 180˚c, mark 6. With the tip of a sharp knife make a criss-cross pattern on each aubergine half trying not to cut through the skin. Brush each half with the oil and season well with salt. Place on a baking tray and cook in the oven for 30-35 minutes until the aubergines are soft.
- While the aubergines are cooking make the glaze: mix together all the remaining ingredients apart from the coriander. Heat the grill to high. When the aubergines are cooked through brush each half with the glaze. Place under the grill for 6-8 minutes until the glaze is starting to caramelise and turn a deep brown colour. Scatter over a little coriander before serving.