Serves: Makes about24 - Time:
These delicious little cakes could be served as a canapé, first course or main such is their versatility. Obviously you can make the cakes S, M or L depending on how they will be served. My favourite accompaniment is sweet chilli sauce but a punchy sriracha mayonnaise or some kimchi would do very nicely too. Make sure the oil in the frying pan is quite hot as you want a golden crust on the cakes.
- 425g sweet potato, peeled and grated
- 280g raw, peeled prawns, roughly chopped
- 3 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- ½ red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander
- 70g rice flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 medium eggs
- Oil for shallow frying
- Put the first five ingredients in a mixing bowl and season with salt and ground black pepper. Stir everything together.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour and baking powder together with a generous pinch or two of fine salt. Slowly beat in the eggs along with 100ml cold water to make a liquid batter. Pour over the sweet potato and prawn mixture and stir really well to coat the ingredients.
- Heat about 1cm oil in a frying pan and carefully place 4-6 tablespoons of the mixture in the pan. Fry for about 2 minutes each side, until golden and firm. Transfer to a baking tray lined with absorbent kitchen paper and keep warm in a low oven until you have finished frying the remaining mixture. Serve with sweet chilli sauce.