Serves: 2-4 as a starter or main course - Time:
This is one of those unplanned recipes which came together when I scoured the fridge and cupboards for inspiration as to what to pair with the smoked chicken . More often than not these are the most delicious dishes and most satisfying as no extra shopping is required. The pickled jalapeño dressing is a keeper and goes with so many ingredients, not just smoked chicken. I know we are deep into autumn now but dishes like this salad that you can throw together and have on the table in a matter of minutes are always useful as midweek suppers when time is short.
- For the dressing
- 50g pickled jalapeños
- 150g mayonnaise, preferably homemade
- For the salad
- 400g tin cannellini beans
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 80g watercress
- 290g sliced smoked chicken
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, stoned and cubed
- Blend the jalapenos and mayonnaise until smooth. Set aside.
- Drain the cannellini beans and rinse under cold water. Place in a bowl and toss with the lemon juice, olive oil and lots of salt and ground black pepper.
- Arrange the watercress in a wide shallow salad bowl or serving platter. Scatter over the cannellini beans. Top with the slices of smoked chicken and diced avocado. Drizzle over the pickled jalapeño dressing and serve.