This is a favourite Monday night supper- for those evenings when you want something tasty but can’t quite be bothered to spend hours in the kitchen. You can prepare up to the end of stage 2 well in advance and simply stir in the eggs just before you want to eat. Serve the eggs with naan bread, or chapatis- or plain old toast is just as delicious.
- 3 large vine tomatoes, about 350g
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon black onion seeds
- ¼ teaspoon chilli powder
- 5 large eggs, beaten
- 20g roughly chopped coriander
- To serve Naan bread or poppadums
- Make a shallow cut across the base of each tomato. Plunge them into boiling water for 30 seconds then drain and refresh under cold water. Peel off the skins and roughly chop the tomatoes.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and gently sauté the onion for about 15 minutes until soft but not coloured. Add the green chilli and dry spices and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Season the eggs with salt and ground black pepper and stir into the tomatoes. Keep stirring over a low heat- you don’t want to cook the eggs too quickly- until the eggs are lightly scrambled. Stir in the coriander and serve immediately.