Serves: 2 - Time:
Both aubergines and mushrooms –especially oyster mushrooms- are pretty bland and flavourless when raw. But when heat is applied (a sort of mild Maillard reaction) and the vegetables are coated in a tasty sauce these ingredients are transformed. As this stir-fry is packed with umami savouriness I never feel the need to add any extra protein. If you are trying to cut down on your meat consumption this kind of dish is the perfect way introduce a more plant-based diet. You can use any noodles you like- I bulk buy the Curry Mee noodles online, sometimes using the flavour sachets that come with them or sometimes making my own sauce.
- 1 aubergine
- ½ tablespoon Maldon salt
- 1 tablespoon red or white miso paste
- 50ml Shaoxing wine or dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons soft brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 125ml vegetable oil
- 300g oyster mushrooms, separated into individual pieces
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 25g root ginger, peeled and very finely chopped
- 100g dried noodles, see intro
- To serve sliced red chilli and fresh coriander
- Top and tail the aubergine and slice in half lengthways. Cut into half moon slices and place in a colander. Sprinkle over the salt and leave to sweat for about 30-45 minutes. Meanwhile mix the miso, Shaoxing wine, sugar and soy together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Start to heat a saucepan of water to cook your noodles. Wipe off any salt and moisture from the aubergine and pat dry with kitchen paper. Heat the oil in a wok or deep frying pan. Add the aubergine slices and fry over a lively heat for 6-8 minutes until the aubergines are soft and light golden. Lift out of the oil and drain the slices on kitchen paper. Start to cook the noodles at this point.
- Pour off all but one tablespoon of the oil (you can keep it for frying one more time) and place the wok over a moderate heat. Add the oyster mushrooms and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes until soft and turning light golden. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1-2 minutes. Return the aubergine to the wok and pour over the miso sauce. Stir-fry for a minute. Drain the noodles and add to the wok. Stir well to coat the noodles. Garnish with sliced red chilli and coriander leaves and serve immediately.