This is barely a recipe and there is certainly no cooking involved. It came about from a dog walk, where I happened to chance upon a bramble bush groaning with ripe fruit. On returning home, a quick rifle through the cupboards and fridge turned up a wedge of Madeira cake, an ancient bottle of Grenadine syrup and some double cream. A few minutes later and this rather delicious pudding appeared. You could drizzle over something boozy in place of the Grenadine if you like.
- 250ml double cream
- 30g icing sugar, sifted plus extra for dusting
- ½ teaspoon vanilla paste (or extract)
- 4 slices Madeira cake
- 4 tablespoons Grenadine syrup
- 4 handfuls of blackberries
- Put the cream, sugar and vanilla paste in a bowl and whip to soft peaks. Set aside.
- Put the slices of Madeira cake onto four pudding plates and drizzle a tablespoon of Grenadine over each one. Pile the blackberries on top of the cake and top with the whipped cream. Dust with icing sugar and serve.