Serves: 4 (or more if using as a dip)
Smoked cod’s roe is widely available online and from most Waitrose stores. It freezes very well so I buy a few at a time so I can feed my tarama habit regularly. Once you’ve made tararmasalata from scratch you will be hooked forever. I find using only extra-virgin olive oil too overpowering so I stick to a light olive oil or make a blend to suit my tastes.
- 170g smoked cod’s roe
- 35g crustless white bread
- 1 teaspoon finely grated shallot (about ½ a shallot)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 150ml light olive oil or a mixture of extra-virgin olive oil and rapeseed oil (mix to suit your taste)
- Remove the skin from the smoked cod’s roe and place in a food processor. Soak the bread in water for 2 minutes then drain and squeeze out any excess liquid. Place the bread in the food processor and add the grated shallot, lemon juice and a good grind of black pepper.
- Process for a few seconds then, with the motor still running, slowly drizzle in the oil-as if you were making mayonnaise. If the mixture becomes a bit stiff add a tablespoon of water. Spoon into a bowl and serve with toasted pitta breads.