This recipe was the result of a fridge forage. You can spend hours concocting complicated recipes but sometimes the most delicious dishes are ones that are thrown together from things that are lying around (fridge and cupboard that is-I’m not advocating raiding the bins or scooping up roadkill). You could serve it with the leftovers of a roast chicken or joint of beef. I happened to have the deli-style charred artichokes but you could use the ones in the jar-just drain off all the oil or the salad will be too greasy. We ate the salad slightly warm but it is just as delicious cold.
- 400g new potatoes, halved if large
- 150ml double cream
- 180g pot char-grilled artichokes, drained
- 4 tablespoons fresh pesto (see Larder section)
- To serve salad leaves
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for 18-20 minutes. Drain and leave until the potatoes are cool enough to handle. Peel off the skins and cut the potatoes into bite-size pieces. Set aside.
- Put the cream in a small saucepan and heat to just below boiling point. Take off the heat and stir in the pesto followed by the artichokes and potatoes. Leave for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve on a bed of salad leaves.