Serves: 4-6 - Time:
This is one of the best ways of perking up your pulses. These herby lentils can be served with almost anything-as a side dish with barbecued meat (especially good with sausages), with grilled fish or keep it vegetarian and serve with marinated grilled peppers and a sphere of oozing burrata. You don’ t need to soak Puy lentils so this dish can be put together really quickly, although I think the pulses benefit from a few hours soaking up the herby dressing. Serve the lentils at room temperature.
- 190g Puy lentils, washed
- ½ onion, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 20g basil
- 20g flat-leaf parsley
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2-3 handfuls of wild rocket
- Put the lentils in a large saucepan and add the onion and bay leaf. Cover with cold water. Bring to the boil then turn the heat down and simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the lentils are soft but still retaining their shape. Drain and remove the onion and bay leaf.
- While the lentils are cooking you can make the herby dressing. Put all the remaining ingredients -except the rocket-in a small liquidiser and add 1 tablespoon cold water. Blend to a smooth paste.
- Pour the dressing over the lentils while they are still warm. Season well with salt and ground black pepper and mix together. Ideally leave for at least one hour. Just before serving stir the rocket into the lentils.