This is one of the most delicious ways of serving peas. There is something so spring-like about this dish-its vibrant green hue probably-but it can be made any time of year thanks to Captain Birds Eye (other brands are available too…). Truth be told, I prefer to use frozen petits pois as most of the fresh peas I buy often turn out to be rather starchy and there is nothing more reliable than a frozen vegetable. This makes a wonderful side dish to serve with roast chicken or lamb.
- 30g butter
- 85g diced pancetta
- 125g spring onions, topped and tailed and roughly chopped
- 2 baby gem lettuces, trimmed and halved lengthways
- 450g frozen petits pois
- 200ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 teaspoons ready-made mint sauce
- Place a wide flameproof casserole over a moderate heat and melt the butter. Add the pancetta and fry for 4-5 minutes until just golden. Add the spring onions and cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes. Place the baby gem halves, cut side down, in the casserole and cook for 2 minutes. Turn the lettuces over and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the petits pois and pour in the stock. Season with a little salt and ground black pepper and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and leave to simmer for 8-10 minutes. Stir in the mint sauce and serve immediately.